Friday, September 8, 2023

Sanyo FW40D36F Television

 Sanyo FW40D36F Television


The flat screen TV just went dead on us.  Wouldn't turn on.  I bought a new TV and installed it, but just couldn't stop myself from making a search on YouTube before throwing the old one out.  Lo and behold I found one post by this guy who looked like heck but really had it together.  He went through the entire problem on a similar model but not quite the same.  He reports that the capacitors in the power supply last a couple of years and that's why the warranty is usually for 2 years. 

It is painful to repace capacitors on a circuit board--the heat from your soldering pencil can disrupt other connections and components and he says that the capacitors are only a dollar but are sold in strips of one thousand.  The entire circuit board can be purchased for 30 to 35 bucks!

I couldn't resist.  I opened the TV being real careful not to damage the flat screen.  The circuit board was not overly difficult to remove.  Just little screws all over the place.  None of the capacitors looked domed or burnt but you don't really know for sure that it's even the capacitors that are the problem.  

I looked up the chip online and found it for $32.  The wife agreed that it was a reasonable gamble.  If it didn't solve the problem, the whole shebang could go out in the trash.

It's been a few weeks, but I finally dragged the TV out and put in the new circuit board, needing to connect only about five things.  There were little differences in a couple of the connectors but nothing that could not be overcome.

By golly if it didn't pop right on after I finally got it put back together.  I was genuinely surprised and now have another large flat screen TV for guest bedroom or rec room somewhere.

1 comment: