Friday, May 10, 2024

BWW Project #20 Fix LR lamp

 BWW Project #20   Fix LR Lamp

LR lamp flickers on and off continually and the little key is very sensitive to adjust to keep it on.  The switch is either worn out or a power wire inside the base has come loose and makes intermittent contact.

I took the base off the stack and pulled up enough wire that I could work on it in comfort.

Prying it apart, I found both power wires firmly attached, so the little rotating switch is worn out.  A trip to Ace Hardware got me a new base but it was silver colored instead of brass like the original.  It would  be more or less hidden inside the shade, but another idea occurred to me: why not just take the new guts including the paper wafer out of the new one and use the brass shell from the old one.  Easy enough.

I hooked up the new switch, put the wafer and old brass shell around it and screwed it to the rod coming up the lamp.

Voila, a new, nicely operating lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment