Sunday, September 29, 2024

Farm Project #13 -- Clothes Dryer Tear Down

 Farm Project #13:  Clothes Dryer Tear Down



I know that the belt that turns the hopper in the clothes dryer broke, but I don't know why.  A tear down is necessary in any case.  I had ordered and received a new belt.  I did the initial diagnosis.  First it was necessary to take the door off at the hinges.  Then the front panel.  Once this was off and the parts stashed safely in a corner, I could tip up the top, revealing the drum and the stuff in front of it, as well as, of course, the broken belt. 



Reaching in, I found the idler pulley and tried to turn it.  It is frozen solid.  That explains it.  The belt has been turning on the pulley but just sliding around it as a guide and, of course, heating up and wearing out.

It will be necessary to remove the drum and the air ducts in front of it in order to put the new belt on.  

The idler pulley has to be ordered and put in first.  That will be the next point of attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment